Week 2 of Work Experience at Beauchamps Solicitors
Fortunately for me, my second week in Beauchamps Solicitors was as good if not better than the first week. Everything the second
week just came into place. It was like a jigsaw puzzle where finally the pieces
all clicked together perfectly. Making my way to and from work every day did
not seem like such a burden or nerve-racking experience. In the morning, on my
way to work at 7.30am, I could sit back on the dart, earphones in and read a
good book. Travelling to Tara Street every morning gave me to opportunity to
see commuters who depend on the Dart Services all day every day.
I was always a bit early each morning so I would
usually stop off in a lovely little Italian café called ‘Lolly & Cooks’.
They had the nicest cappuccinos and lattes which were lovely to sip on while
walking to work. They were also good to warm up my hands which were glacial in
the as usual incredible Irish weather.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent in the
office completing small tasks for the other solicitors. It was nice to know
that I could help them in a small way and re-pay them for welcoming me with
open arms and being so helpful. I had never scanned any documents before in my
life, but one of the secretaries, Geraldine brought me through the fascinating
yet slightly monatomic task that was the art of scanning. One of the
solicitors, Dan told me that I was learning a skill I had for life! Sarcastic
or not, I think he was right. I must say, I am an expert as scanning now.
Thursday and Friday were definitely the highlights
of my work experience without a doubt! David Quinn, a solicitor, brought me to
court both mornings which is unreal. He was the nicest man and very good craic
as well! He brought me around all the courts and told me who each barrister or
solicitor was. A camera man from RTE was even there. We watched a bit of action
in The Supreme Court and saw Chief Justice Susan Denham making important
decisions about a case to do with medical negligence. We also went for coffee
which David treated me to which was very nice. The atmosphere in the four
courts was buzzing and really lively.
Both afternoons when I arrived back from Court,
Laura (the intern) and I went for lunch. When we got back I would usually
research some of the barristers or judges I had seen in court that morning.
Leaving on Friday evening was actually quite
emotional as I had become so close with my colleagues in such a short space of
time. It was especially sad to say goodbye to Laura, who had been so kind and
great company throughout my two weeks there.
Working in Beauchamps was an experience I will
never forget and it certainly gave me an insight into the life of a solicitor
or barrister. So I now for definite feel that becoming a barrister, although it
is very hard work, could be a strong option for me.




No comments:
Post a Comment