Trinity Law Open Day
I spent an enthralling day in Trinity College Dublin
attending an open day for all perspective 4th, 5th and 6th
years who are interested in studying law in Trinity. I decided to attend this
open day as I have an extensive interest in studying law at a university level
and I am also doing work experience with a law firm in Dublin for 2 weeks.
The atmosphere in Trinity was buoyant and animated
to say the least when I walked through the gates of Trinity. Right away, I knew
that I wanted to attend this much acclaimed university when I am older. We were
directed to the Arts segment of the somewhat endless places to be in Trinity
and organised into groups. The main aim of this day was to experience what a
day studying law in Trinity would be like for a student.
We first attended a lecture on Tort Laws, which I
found captivating. The lecturer was very amicable and I found the lecture
really interesting, not wanting it to end. Tort law is a civil wrongdoing that
unfairly causes someone else to suffer loss or harm resulting in legal
liability for the person who commits the tortious act. Although crimes may be
torts, the cause of legal action is not necessarily a crime, as the harm may be
due to negligence. During my first lecture, I got talking to various people and
discovered that I was the youngest there! I felt this helped me to learn from
the 5th and 6th years and they told me about their
interests in law.
We then moved on to another room in which I
participated in a mock-trial. This mock-trial was on O.J.Simpson, an American
footballer, who ‘supposedly’ killed his ex-wife. I was on the defendant’s side and had to argue
that Simpson was not guilty. I found this challenging yet stimulating. I was
surprised to have been picked to be the barrister on the defendant’s side as I
was the youngest there, but experiencing what it was like to debate as a
barrister made the idea of studying law in Trinity even more appealing.
After the mock trial, we were grateful to eat the
lovely spread that Trinity had supplied for lunch. During this time, I got to
chat with current law students and ask them different questions about studying
law and attending Trinity. I got some really positive feedback about the law
course and one of the girls told me that being in Trinity was like being in an
enormous family.
When lunch had ended, my group went back upstairs to
another lecture on constitutional law. The lecture this time was not with a
lecturer but rather with a PhD student who had just finished studying pure law
and was going on to specialise in Constitutional law. He told us about what
constitutional law is and I learnt that constitutional law deals with the
fundamental principles by which the government exercises its authority. So
literally the case is between a normal person like you or me and the state. We
got to debate on previous cases that had been about the constitution and my side
won the debate which we were very happy about.
40 minutes of Constitutional law moved very fast and
soon we were in a huge lecture hall where all the groups came together for the
final lecture which was very informative and right up my alley. This final
lecture was on criminal law and we looked at various cases that came under the
sector of Criminal law. After looking at a few cases, we were told about
studying in Trinity and how you could study just pure law or law with French,
business or political science.
Attending Trinity for a day was an eye-opening
experience and now I know for sure that I definitely want to attend Trinity
when I am older.


No comments:
Post a Comment