Kairos
On November 3rd, my English class
attended Kairos, a media centre in Maynooth. We were going to put on a TV show
and immediately after seeing the past years shows, we wanted ours to exceed
expectations. We left school at about 9.30 and arrived in Maynooth at about
10.15. We travelled through the vibrant town of Maynooth and chatted about what
the day was going to entail. When we arrived at Kairos, we were taken into the
studio where our TV show would be recorded. I think that all of us were shocked
yet thrilled when we caught site of the studio. Never mind our show exceeding
expectations, the studio already had! To be honest, I was not expecting the set
to look so professional. It was like something out of RTE. We were very
impressed and the studio was a great first impression.
After gawking at the studio for a few minutes we
were introduced to Ger, our leader for the day. He set out the rules and
guidelines straight away and told us that he could already tell that we would
be an enthusiastic group to work with. We got to work straight away. The people
behind the scenes, like the camera, director, sound and visuals people went to
work with Ger and he taught them how to fulfil their roles to the best of their
ability.
Amy and I were the two presenters. Our job was very
important as it kept the whole show together. While the behind the scenes
people were being prepped, Amy and I gathered the rest of the cast and we
rehearsed our lines together, trying to make the show as smooth as possible
before we were to rehearse in the studio. Amy and I had decided to use
different names as presenters or rather our alter egos! Amy was Tabizia
Williams and I was Tabitha Wallaims! Although they were funny names, they were
difficult to say and remember when we were live in studio but we just about
managed!
After our rehearsal with the rest of the cast, us
the presenters, were called into the studio to do a few run-throughs of our
introduction. We decided to call our show ‘Todays news tomorrow’ to add a
humorous element to the show. At first we found it challenging to look straight
into the camera all the time when we were talking but eventually we became used
to it and the camera because a useful source of giving the illusion that we
were talking to an audience which was fantastic.
During the course of the day, we ran through the
show about 1 million times – well it felt like that amount anyway! Amy and I
interviewed Taylor Swift (Sabine), her crazy fan (Jane), a pro golfer (Zach)
and his manager (Harry). Tommy and Jack did the sports news and Donal and Conor
did the news, they did a very good job. Cian did a fab add which he made from
scratch in less than 30 minutes. Natasha was floor manager and signalled
everyone on their cues and kept everyone silent and focussed. She was really
efficient. James, Ciaran and Jane S were camera people.
At 12.45, we went for lunch in the canteen and I had
some chips which were very nice. After lunch we went back to the studio and did
our official recording of our show. It went smoothly and I feel like we as a
class represented ourselves very well.
Kairos was a first-class experience and I was in my
element being a presenter. I would like to thank all the staff at Kairos for
facilitating us and providing us with such a spectacular environment to work
in, Jason for accompanying us on the trip, my class-mates for working so hard
and producing an unbelievable show, and Miss O’Regan and Ms Ni Mhairtin for
giving us the opportunity to attend Kairos.
Feel free to watch 'Todays news tomorrow' below.. ENJOY :)




No comments:
Post a Comment