Saturday, 28 November 2015

Week 1 of Work Experience at a Law Firm.

Week 1 of work experience at Beauchamps Solicitors 

This week, starting the 9th of November, I began my first week at Beauchamps Solicitors in Dublin. I have great interest in becoming a barrister when I am older so I knew that a big law firm like Beauchamps would be the place for me. I was given the opportunity to do two weeks consecutively and I gladly took the incredible opportunity to do not one but two weeks!


I knew work experience would be a stimulating challenge for me as I would have to independently transport myself in and out of Dublin through means of the Dart. The first Monday morning was a shock being awoken at 6am and rushing to be on the dart in Greystones for 7.30am. Luckily for me, with the kind help of my mum, I just about made it to the dart that morning. At first on the crowded dart full of commuters I felt uncomfortable in my new work clothes consisting of a VERY  starched shirt and skirt, which for me was very different to my uniform except for my trusty blazer which is a comfort for me as I love wearing my school blazer!   


I arrived at Tara Street Dart Station at 8.30am and I just about navigated my way to work thankfully. Unfortunately for me but quite humorous for passing people, it was raining and quite windy so I had to multitask quite a lot. Trying to keep my umbrella  from blowing away, avoid walking through wet puddles and keeping an eye on google maps was probably the biggest challenge I had to overcome throughout my first week and it’s safe to say I was very proud when I caught sight of the Beauchamps Solicitors offices.

I am not usually a nervous person, but walking into reception was a heart-thumping experience. I had had dreams the night before about getting the week wrong and having to leave which would have been mortifying but thankfully they were expecting me. I was greeted with open arms and smiles when I walked into the offices and the head of Human resources introduced me to many employees whose names I still can’t remember to this day! I was given an office to share with an intern called Laura who had been there already for two weeks and we immediately befriended each other seeing the opportunity to keep each other company and help each other out. Laura studied pure law in UCC and is currently awaiting her final exam results. She is hoping for a permanent placement in Beauchamps but she is up against three other interns. I am secretly rooting for Laura but I have to keep in with the other interns!!


I am in the Corporate commercial law department and even though my preferred type of law is either Criminal or Human rights, I am really enjoying Corporate Commercial law as it has a lot to do with business and politics which I am also interested in and the business side should help me with my Leaving Cert Business course which is a bonus.



Myself and Laura go for lunch every day from 1pm-2pm which is very enjoyable but difficult to choose where to eat. On Monday, my first day, Laura and I accompanied a solicitor called Emer to the courts to watch a merger. It was very interesting to see the barristers convince the judge to let their resolutions pass and also to watch the interaction between the solicitors and barristers.
During the days of my first week I was writing bits and pieces for the solicitors and helping out with various things such as filing, photocopying and scanning.

Next week I will be going to the courts again which I can’t wait. So far, my work experience has been really interesting and I hope it continues to be.    

No comments:

Post a Comment