Saturday, 28 November 2015

Human Rights Conference.

  Frontline Defenders    Closing Ceremony








On the 6th of November, I attended a Frontline Defenders Conference in Dublin Castle which I was invited to because of my extensive interest in human rights and public speaking. I gladly accepted the kind offer and counted down the days excitedly until I could attend.


Frontline Defenders or The International Foundation for the protection of Human Rights Defenders is an Irish-based human rights organisation founded in Dublin in 2001 to protect human rights defenders at risk, i.e. those who work non-violently to uphold the human rights of others as Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Frontline Defenders’ overall goal is to enable human rights defenders, as key agents of social change, to continue their work without the risk of harassment, intimidation or arrest. It is a non-profit, NGO, Global organisation. Its Irish base is in Blackrock.


I arrived at Dublin Castle at 11.15 am and was given my badge. Surrounding me were human rights defenders from all around the world, from Spain to India to The Lebanon. I was fascinated that there was so many people who just like me were invested in the human rights of others.


At 11.30 am, everyone took their seat in a massive hall where there was interpreters because of the various languages around the hall. One by one each human rights defender got up and said a testimony on their experiences in fighting peacefully for human rights. Many had been tortured and thrown into jail because of their work. They bravely told us their sometimes horrific circumstances and truthfully spoke about the fact that there was still a lot to do in regards to improving/fixing the rights of others.

It was a fascinating, thought-provoking and at times saddening few hours, it really improved my knowledge and understanding of the hard work human rights defenders do on behalf of other people who are suffering in the world today.  


No comments:

Post a Comment