Friday, 8 January 2016

A night working at The Bazaar

    The Bazaar


Since the age of four, the St. Gerard’s Bazaar has held a special place in my heart. The Bazaar and The Carol Service immediately get me into the Christmas mood and I love the way they both bring the whole school community together. Every year in my junior school uniform, I would watch the Senior School students work at stalls raising money for Irish Charities desperately in need in Greystones, Bray and Delgany and other local areas. Watching them inspired me to take part in The Bazaar and luckily for me I was granted the opportunity to take part in the Bazaar in Sixth Class and now again in Fourth year. Working at the bazaar in Sixth Class was completely different to working at it this year. In Sixth Class I worked at the toy stall but working at our YSI stall was a completely different experience, possibly a more meaningful one.



As you may know already from my previous blogs, I am involved in a Young Social Innovators group along with a few of my friends. We are trying to raise funds and most importantly awareness for the refugee crisis and community mainly in Ireland but also all over the world. We had already done a clothes, toys and washing essentials appeal for The Dun Laoighre Refugee centre but we wanted to do even more so we decided to have a bake stall at the Bazaar which Mr. Geraghty and Mr. Dungan enthusiastically agreed and approved of.


Many of us including our YSI teacher Ms Kavanagh baked goods for the stall and I brought in strawberries and a chocolate fondue which actually became our best seller. Other girls in TY who are not in our YSI group generously baked cakes for us too which was so kind of them. We also sold our YSI wristband which were very popular with everyone. We raised over 750 euro which was absolutely fantastic and due to everyone’s huge generosity. The Dun Laoighre Refugee centre will be so grateful for the awareness and funds we are providing. A huge thank you to everyone at the Bazaar for being so kind, Ms O’Regan and Ms. Kavanagh for helping us with our stalls, and the girls who baked cakes for the stall.


I had such great fun working at the stall and I loved every minute of it. It was an inspiring, positive and unique experience and I think the perfect way to end this blog post is with the wise words of Winston Churchill; 


                
                   ‘We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by                                                      what we give.’     

No comments:

Post a Comment