Trip to Munich, Germany
On Saturday 11th of December, some fourth, fifth and
sixth years headed to Munich on a History trip. In previous years the trip had
only been open to fifth and sixth years so when I discovered I had the
opportunity to go I leapt at the chance.
I had never been to Germany so I was
excited to discover a new country and its cultures and peoples. From fourth
year, Jane L, Mia McCarthy, Caitlin, Esme, Lara, Iona, Cian, Shane, Jonathan,
Rory, Conor Newsome, Rian, Ethan Robinson and myself all went. The teachers
accompanying us were Mr. Roche, Ms. Fanning, Ms. Carrigy, and Ms. Molloy
.
We spent 3 days there, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We ate and shopped
our way through Munich! We went to Nuremberg and attended a tour of the court
where The Nuremberg Trials took place for war crimes during WW2. This was very
interesting as it will be so helpful for the Leaving Cert course to have
actually been in The Nuremberg Court.
We also went on a walking tour of The Third Reich and actually stood in many
spots where Hitler stood. We also visited the sites of where Hitler held his
party rallies. It was so exhilarating yet terrifying to be in a place where all
the Nazis had been.
We stayed in a hostel called Haus International which Jane and I found
very funny because ‘Haus’ is the German for house so Jane and I would always
say it was like we were in our own house while staying at the hostel. It
probably doesn’t sound very funny now but it was at the time!! Although the
food wasn’t great in our ‘House’ (Get it!) and the rooms were a little cramped
we still had such fun throughout our stay in Haus International. I was sharing
a room with Mia, Jane and Muireann in Fifth Year. There was even a disco in
Haus and a pizza machine. They also had water in cartons instead of bottles
which we all found fascinating, probably a little too fascinating.
I am not ashamed to say that I love my food and it’s safe to say that
Munich definitely delivered on the food front. We had endless nutella crepes,
chocolate waffles and German sausages in rolls at the Christmas markets. We
also had a McDonald’s once just to say we had been to a German McDonalds! ‘I’m
loving it’
On the last day, we visited the biggest shopping centre in Germany much
to the girls delight and to the boy’s dismay! Myself and the rest of the girls
from TY visited every shop in sight including the much loved MAC and Douglas. I
must say we over did it a bit with the purchases of makeup! We then had iced
coffee and donuts in ‘Dunkin Donuts’ which Iona recommended as being the best
place in the world, it certainly was.
Going to Munich was a dream come true and one of my favourite
experiences from TY so far this year. There was a constant buzz in Munich and a
Christmassy feeling that warmed your heart. I felt that I bonded with everyone
and it was truly a magical opportunity that I will never forget.
The highlights
were definitely visiting the Christmas Markets and learning about Munich as a
historic city. Thank you to all the
teachers, especially Mr. Roche who made the trip a possibility and organised
everything so well.












No comments:
Post a Comment