Bio Diversity Workshop
Today we had a Bio-Diversity workshop which was run
by Katie and Sophie, two women from Presentation Biological. I was in the
morning group which ran from 9-11am. This was a really good time as it meant
that I could go straight to musical rehearsals afterwards.
Although I do not do any science subjects, I am very
interested in Conservation and bio-mimicking as I am on the Green Schools
Committee so I was very eager to see what Katie and Sophie had to say about
Bio-Diversity and just the environment in general. Donal and I brought the two
women to the halla nua and our whole group was immediately awoken from the
early morning haze with Katie and Sophie’s enthusiasm. To say they were
engaging speakers is an understatement.
We started with defining the word bio-diversity and
we learnt that it refers to the variety and variability of life on earth. We
then talked about sustainability and what we as humans can take from the earth
that is of value to us.
We then played a really fun game which involved lots
of shouting and crawling on the floor trying to collect beads – a little hectic
but it had a really unique concept about how each generation had more resources
and man-made materials.
Throughout the workshop, we discussed eco-systems
and we even made a web out of string which represented wild species in Ireland
that could create an eco-system.
Towards the end we listened to a presentation made
by Sophie and then we created a poster in groups to do with us coming up with
an invention that had something to do with an animal or plant. Our group came
up with the idea of a black jacket because Polar Bear’s skin is black to keep
insula so if a coat is black it would be a better insulator of heat.
I really enjoyed the Bio-Diversity Workshop and I
definitely took a lot from it. It will definitely help me to brain-storm ideas
for when The Green School’s Committee starts to work to get the Bio-Diversity
flag.


No comments:
Post a Comment