Sunday, 10 January 2016

Participating in The Soroptimist Public Speaking Competition.

Soroptimist Public Speaking    Competition


On Wednesday, 25th November, I took part in The Soroptimist Public Speaking Competition alongside Anna and Jane. Jane had written her speech on ‘Equality for women’ while Anna and I chose the topic on ‘Friendship and Volunteering’. The reason I chose this topic was because I felt that it was relatable to so many people and I know how important friendship and volunteering is in my life.

The other girls competing were from Rathdown and Holy Child Killiney and needless to say, the competition was extremely tough.
Soroptimist International, which includes Soroptimist international of The Americas, Soroptimist International of Great Britain & Ireland, Soroptimist International of Europe and Soroptimist International of South West Pacific, is a global volunteer movement working together to transform the lives of women and girls. Their network of around 80,000 club members in 132 countries and territories works at a local, national and international level to educate, empower and enable opportunities for women and girls. Projects take place all over the world focusing on issues such as violence against women, safe sanitation, Displacement, education, leadership – anything that effects the lives of women and girls.

Although I am an avid debater, I do not have that much experience in public speaking so this was the perfect opportunity to try public speaking and become a little more familiar with talking formally rather than in a more relaxed debate style. Looking back at the competition now, I wish that I had had a bit more time to prepare my speech as I had been doing work experience for the two weeks before the competition. Overall, however, it was a fantastic experience to inspire and encourage people to do something for women’s rights through my speech.


A girl from Rathdown came first and Anna came second which was amazing! Congrats Anna!    

No comments:

Post a Comment