First Aid
We practised many times on each other wrapping bandages and dressings and putting slings on each other and then we also performed CPR on dummies called Little Anne which we found hilarious for some reason! First Aid was definitely one of the most useful extracurriculars we took this year. I am so happy that I signed up for this course as I know that it will help me in the future if I am ever in a life-threatening situation with myself or others. Over the course of 3 days we learnt so much practical and theoretical elements to the art that is first aid. Our first aid leader, Trisha Finnerty, was brilliant, so helpful and interested in us. Instead of just pretending all the time that we were in a situation, she would almost transfer the situation into real life using role plays to help us get a feel for how first aid can save lives. Because we took First Aid, we are now 3 times more likely to get involved in an accident if we see or hear one.
Some of the practical things we learnt in First Aid were; CPR, how to use a defibrillator/AED, how to put someone into the recovery position, how to put slings on, how to put pressure on external bleeding using materials and how to stop someone from choking using abdominal back thrusts. These practical skills will stay with me for life and I now feel that if someone is in trouble I can help.
As well as learning practical skills, we also learnt the theory that comes hand in hand with the practical skills. We were informed about diabetes, epilepsy, cardiac arrest, heart attacks, internal and external bleeding, choking and blockage and many many more. We learnt this theory as we knew we had a test on it on the third day. To know the practical side to first aid you must also know the theory side too.
On the third day, we had a written exam in the morning on all the theory we learnt and in the afternoon we had a practical exam with another examiner who asked us to perform CPR, role-plays and answer questions. Our examiner told us that everyone in our class had received a distinction in the practical element, so hopefully we received distinctions in the written element too!
No comments:
Post a Comment