Law Assignment 4 with DCU’s Legal Studies Course
Law Assignment four was about Precedent and Reading a case. This assignment helped me to interpret a legal case and read in a way that highlights the relevant answers that will apply to the questions asked. In this assignment, I read an English case called R v. Blaue. “R” stands for “Regina” (i.e. the Queen of England) – the case is a criminal case, where the crown is prosecuting a defendant, who is Mr. Blaue. The case took place in 1975, and relates to a man who stabbed a woman who was a practicing Jehovah’s Witness. Because of her religious beliefs, the woman refused a blood transfusion, and died. The Court had to establish whether the man could be convicted, even though the woman partly caused her own death by refusing medical help.
This was a challenging yet interesting case which taught me about the chain of causation in a case. Questions like ‘what are the facts of this case’, ‘explain the reasons for the trial judge’s summing up’ and ‘what conclusion does the judge draw in the end and what were his reasonings’ were asked and I tried my very best to answer them in the clearest logical way.
My feedback from my tutor was very good and she noted that yet again that I had submitted an excellent assignment and clearly understood what was asked of me throughout the assignment. She wrote that some of the questions were ambiguous and could go either way but the way I had answered them was the correct interpretation. I was very grateful for the good feedback and every week I feel like I am getting a bit stronger and better at writing my assignments.
Unfortunately, I only have two more assignments left and assignment 5 is coming up soon. It is based on capital punishment which I find a very interesting topic. In assignment 5 the questions are of a more argumentative style which suits me as I love to debate different issues. I’ll have to add capital punishment to the list of possible debate topics after I'm finished this assignment!

No comments:
Post a Comment