The Musical Experience
Being part of Grease – The musical was definitely the highlight of TY so
far this year. I loved every single minute of it and I wish I could do it all
over again. From starting the rehearsals to finishing the last show, every
moment was a joyous occasion sprinkled with laughter and loads of fun. I think
throughout the process of the musical we all saw different sides to everyone.
Sides that included musical, dancing and acting ability. Everyone had something
to bring to the show and I feel that everyone’s little hidden talents made the
show what is was.
Looking back on
the amount of rehearsals we had, there was not one moment where I wasn’t having
some sort of fun. We all got on so well and giggled our way through challenging
dance routines and dialogue laced with the cheesy Grease accent. Everyone
really put their all into the musical no matter how comfortable they were with
performing. A lot of the principles were already quite at ease with the idea of
being on stage but I think together as principle roles we really helped each
other to blossom into our parts and step into our character’s shoes.
I think a
magical moment for me throughout the musical was when we had band call with the
band. Hearing each other sing with the band was just amazing and the band were
so fantastic. We were all in awe of their incredible playing. I think the
overture they played at the beginning of our musical will stay with me forever.
Performing
each night to a packed hall was an intense yet exhilarating experience. Seeing
each other in our costumes every day was very funny and enjoyable and I think
even sitting with all the girls in our dressing room putting on our makeup
helped to bring us all together as a group of friends. During the day before
matinées and before evening performances we were running around like mad
hatters – making finishing touches on our makeup, hurriedly throwing a bit of
foundation on the boy’s faces and fixing each other’s mics. The only way I can
describe The Musical is a rollercoaster. It had its ups and downs and you could
never be sure of what was around the corner. The only thing we knew was that
when we looked back we would know that it was a great ride.
Every
show ran so smoothly and that was because of Aishling’s fabulous directing and
Ms Olohan’s producing. Without them we would have been lost. They helped us to
make sure our talents shone through and that everyone was included in the
production. It was actually quite emotional finishing Grease and leaving the
character of Marty behind. A flirtatious, flamboyant, and fashionable woman,
Marty a pink lady was someone I could really dig my teeth into. With her
multiple love interests, there was never a dull moment with Marty who always
kept me as an actress entertained. I loved playing Marty and she really helped
to improve my acting skills. I will miss her immensely.
A huge
thank you to everyone involved in the show and to everybody who came and
supported Grease. It was an experience of a lifetime and one I would do again
and again.


No comments:
Post a Comment